Congregation Anshei Israel to hold Hanukkah party with charitable component | Arts & Culture
Hanukkah lasts eight nights, with many people giving a gift each night. Congregation Anshei Israel’s Hanukkah party, “Eight Days of Caring and Sharing,” will benefit eight charities. The public is invited to share the warmth of the “Festival of Lights” on December 11, at 6 p.m.
The evening includes lighting of the synagogue’s menorah; dinner with latkes (potato pancakes, a traditional Hanukkah food), sides and dessert; recognition of the synagogue’s volunteers; singing led by CAI’s choirs; and the charity projects. Attendees are asked to bring at least one item for donation. Seven of the charities are local:
- Project Linus - Needs children’s blankets
- Toys for Tots - Needs new, unwrapped toys
- Diaper Bank - Needs adult AND children’s diapers
- Community Food Bank - Needs non-perishable food items
- Casa de los Ninos - Needs baby pajamas, socks, training pants, pacifiers, teething rings and sippy cups
- Humane Society of Southern Arizona - Needs pet food, toys and bedding
- Southgate Charter School - Needs school and/or office supplies
The eighth charity is Anshei Israel’s sister congregation in Gilo, Israel, a partnership established in 2002. CAI provides funding for Shevet Achim, which has enabled the congregation — now with members from 17 countries — to survive. Monetary donations are needed for their continued growth.
Please bring items to the party and/or drop them off in the lobby of the administrative office.
Admission: $6.13 per person (2 & under free) with paid RSVP by Dec. 7; $13 thereafter and at the door.
For more information, call Barb at 745-5550, ext. 242 or RSVP at www.caiaz.org
Congregation Anshei Israel is located at 5550 E. 5th St. at Craycroft, Tucson, AZ 85711.