Holiday safety tips from Rural/Metro | Home & Garden
Here are a few holiday safety tips from Rural/Metro Fire Department to help make your holiday season a safe one:
- If you have an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled, certified, or identified by the manufacturer as fire retardant.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 1–2” from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
Lighting the tree
- Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Get rid of the tree when it begins dropping needles. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home. Check with your local community to find a recycling program. Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer.
- Place candles in proper holders to ensure the hot melted wax will not spill and the candle will not tip over
- Use UL approved lighting and decorations in your home
- Check the wiring of decorative lighting for cracks or damage before use
- Don’t overload outlets and use power strips with integrated circuit breakers
- Turn lighting off when going to bed and don’t leave a tree unattended while the lights are on
- Don’t leave outdoor holiday lighting up indefinitely, check the tags on the lights and do not exceed the limitations set forth
- Make sure decorations are labeled “flame resistant” or “fire retardant”