Six more schools start closure process | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- Six more Tucson Unified School District schools are closer to closing their doors this morning. The decision came down from the District meeting last night.
The Board approved starting the closure process on six more schools last night. The list of six more possible closures includes: Maxwell Middle School, Brichta Elementary, Menlo Park Elementary, Manzo Elementary, Cragin Elementary and Wakefield Middle School.
TUSD has now begun the closure process on 14 of their schools.
It was another long and emotional night at Catalina Magnet High School. It was a packed house last night as well.
Many people showed up with signs and even a mascot to defend their schools. The Board gave the floor to parents, students and community members, which lasted about two and a half hours, and had about 50 speakers.
"Brichta has a lot of cool after school activities and they've increased schools lots of people here are fighting to save their schools, please do not shut down Brichta," said one Brichta student in defense of her school.
Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.
Top Davis-Monthan AFB Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marana swim program to get a helping hand from Foothills Optimist Club
- Holiday activity advisory from Coronado National Forest officials
- Church offers series on Christian holiness and human sexuality
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse hosting a ‘glitzy’ Great Gatsby-inspired event
- AZ Game and Fish meetings for public comment on licensing structures