TFD warns about accidental childhood poisonings | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- A tragedy in California has local firefighters sending out a warning this morning.
A grandmother recently gave her grandson a water bottle in the car, but inside that bottle wasn't water, it was a poisonous liquid and the child died.
That is why the Tucson Fire Department wants to send a warning to the community.
Thankfully Tucson has not had any deaths, but there have been several close calls. TFD says they had 11 poisoning incidents involving children just in December.
In many cases it can be a family member reaching for an unlabeled bottle thinking its water. In other cases it's kids reaching out for containers themselves.
As TFD Capt. Barrett Baker sums it up, "They don't understand, it can be a really dangerous situation."
So make sure to keep dangerous fluids in their original container and out of reach of children.
If you think your child drank a poisonous fluid call 911 immediately, do not try to make them throw up.
Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.